Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer rain

In the High Desert, we have these few days in summer where the heat makes you delirious and begging for snow and freezing cold temps (not, me, just other crazy people). Just when you think you can't take it anymore, the skies get cloudy, the air gets thick and then Mother Nature puts on a light and sound show. Claps of thunder, shots of bright lightning, and then as a finale....we get rain. One year it rained so hard so quickly that my father in law and I were barely able to make it to Baskin Robbins and back to pick up my son's cake for his birthday. The streets were flooded and cars were getting stuck. But after the rain, its so quiet and peaceful. Everyone seems content to stay inside and relax for a moment if they can.
My roses are especially happy to receive rain. I knew we were probably going to get some, so I tilled up the dirt around them so that the water would be able to go deep and get to the roots. Right now the temps are not bad, but the bad part about summer rain is the humidity. Give me my High Desert dry heat. I know there will be some soaked shirts tonight at softball. Oh, and happy Friday the 13th!!!!

No comments: